Funky Flying Flags

 



Edgewater College learning challenge - Design an original flag.  This year the Edgewater College students created their own flags. Through the use of creative and intuitive thought and action, learners in the arts are able to view their world from new perspectives. Through the development of arts literacies, students, as creators, presenters, viewers, and listeners, are able to participate in, interpret, value, and enjoy the arts throughout their lives.


Learning objectives:   

  • Explore a variety of materials and tools and discover elements and selected principles.

  • Investigate visual ideas in response to a variety of motivations, observation, and imagination.

  • Share the ideas, feelings, and stories communicated by their own and others’ objects and images.                                                                                   


What did we do?                     


  1. We looked at lots of different flags. 


  1. We made our original individual flag designs on paper. 


  1. We transferred our favourite designs onto fabric.



  1. Sandy the teacher brought her sewing machines to school to help the students sew the hems on their flags. 


  1. We inserted the rope and hand sewed it.


  1. We painted our flag. We used pencil, pens, paint brushes and fabric paint to make our flags nice and colourful. 


  1. Then we went outside to fly our flags. 

  

We filmed the process for our Manaiakalani Film Festival film.





25 comments:

  1. Kia ora, I really enjoy your guys creativity, your guys flags looked amazing.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for enjoying our film. Edgewater Satellite Class

      Delete
  2. Greetings Sommerville School,
    I really like your movie that you made out of all the other movies that you made that has flags around everywhere from country thats around New Zealand.
    Thanks From Sivaenah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Summerill what i liked about this video was the song and the flag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We liked dancing with our flags and dance teacher Kirstie.

      Delete
  4. HI I like how you doing the flag and doing some painting, I really like it Keep doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. We used fabric paint our teacher Kevin bought at "Look Smart"for $3 a coulour. You could try some fabric paining at your class.

      Delete
  5. Kia Ora,I'm Nastazia. I just wanted to say that this was really cool!! and that I enjoy the creativity from each of you. The flags looked amazing. Oh and what is your favourite colour?.

    Nastazia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pink, orange, blue and yellow were the favourite paint colours in our class. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  6. Greeting to Somerville I like how you created your guys funky flag. what made you do this? Did you have fun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin our teacher gave us the idea. We voted on the film ideas and chose to make a flag movie.

      Delete
  7. Hi My name is Taniela, and I attend Sommervile, I love how you guys used your creativity, and made flags, what inspired you to do this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our dance teacher Kirstie had moving dances that we enjoyed. Thanks for your kind comment.

      Delete
  8. I love the red and yellow colours in the flags. From Oliver at Sommerville Edgewater.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blue, red, green. I liked the colours. From Adedie at Sommerville Edgewater.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked how we made our funky flags movie from Kylah at Sommerville Edgewater.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the flags. I enjoyed it. From Boonie at Sommerville Edgewater.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked it because of the different colours of the flag. From Maata at Sommerville Edgewater.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked it because we could see ourselves on the big screen.
    It was cool. The drawings on the flag were good.
    From: Lilly at Sommerville Edgewater.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked watching our flag movie. They were nice flags and I liked the details on the big screen.

    From Jason at Sommerville Edgewater

    ReplyDelete
  15. This movie is really awesome! I really enjoyed working on the flag project. From Amaziah at Sommerville Edgewater.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your drawing and your pictures.I like your flags pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like our movie because it has cool coloured flags.
    From: Cole at Sommerville Edgewater.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kia ora Sommerville school, Ko Delontaye tooku ingoa. Your video is awesome because of your guys creative funky flying flags. Why? Because it was Creative and amazing.

    Ka kite ano.

    ReplyDelete